Thursday, September 17, 2020

DO NOT USE GOOGLE TRANSLATION IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR WRITING September 17, 2020 To My ESL Class

 

DO NOT USE GOOGLE TRANSLATION IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR WRITING

September 17, 2020  To My ESL Class


Hi, students!

 

I noticed that a few students use Google translation for your writing.

Students, do not use Google.

You hurt your English and you are not learning in this class.

You just copying what Google translates.

It is better you do not write at all than you translate with Google.

 

One student here submitted me 3 essays. Two of them were very good - somebody helped her/him at home, or he/she used Google Translate.

The third essay that the student sent me had quite a bit of mistakes ("quite a bit" is the expression to say "many" in a polite way).

This was his/her real essay! With that essay that student will learn how many mistakes he/she is still making, how  rich or poor is his/her vocabulary, and how well he/she can write in reality.

 

So, please do not use Google!  You are wasting your time.

Write with your own words. I will correct you.

Write it again. I will correct you again.

This is the only way to put learning into your head.

Copying translations is not teaching you the depth of the language.

I am your teacher, and I am a student of a foreign language. I know these things very well.

 

Thank you for your attention, and I will see you in class later today!

 

How to develop your vocabulary?

Read books, articles, copy some interesting language paragraphs. But make sure the author's language is developed and beautiful - which is not always the case today online! :D  Read classics - they are always good. Agatha Christie, Conan Doyle, William Faulkner, Somerset Maugham, Irving Stone, Charles Dikkens, etc.

Zoia

No comments:

Post a Comment